Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reflections on Fall, part 1

We've had a mild fall so far. It's been warm - in the 60's and 70's during the day and in the 50's at night. Yesterday it was in the low 40's and rainy, but we still haven't gotten the first frost. Luna and Rugrat are still California cats at heart and refuse to go outside when the weather starts to resemble a California winter day. Lucy, aka Ithacat, does not have this problem.
My yard is full of creatures, both little and big. There is an abundance of squirrels, chipmunks, mice and voles. Lucy caught 3 last weekend. I don't know if she caught anything this weekend, since I've been keeping the door closed. Yesterday I saw a large fox in my back yard, perhaps attracted by all the small critters. It looked at me and then took off into the woods. There are larger animals too. The geese are back, and the turkeys come through every morning. Last weekend there was a deer out back, and I'm waiting for the semi-annual bear announcement from my neighbors.
There is a odd symmetry to the colors outside, In spring, white snow gives way to yellows - daffodils, forsythia, etc. Then come the purples and reds - lilacs, peonies, and roses, as well as green everywhere. As summer shifts into fall, the yellows and whites make an appearance again in ragweed, wild asters, and falling leaves, until it all fades into the grey-white of late fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment