Dear commenters on just about any article about the pay gap,
I read a lot of articles about the persistent pay gap between male and female workers. Shit, there've even been studies show that it starts as early as childhood, which is pretty damned fucked up. Anyway, I'm a glutton for punishment so I read the comments. Bad idea. Anyway, I've got some helpful suggestions for you.
1. Do not read an article providing data that the pay gap persists even after all other variables are accounted for and then comment that it's only because women choose different professions/work less/take time off for kids. Nope. Show some reading comprehension here and read what was written in the article. You're not doing a very good job justifying your extra wages if you can't even exercise critical thinking.
2. Do not argue that men deserve to get paid more because they do more dangerous jobs or might have to go to war. You don't get an automatic bonus for the fact that the last draft was 40+ years ago and you're an office worker whose main occupational hazard is a paper cut. Likewise, men and women doing the same dangerous jobs should get paid the same, and there are a awful lot of dangerous jobs that don't pay very well.
3. Stop thinking about it in terms of you getting less money. Seriously. Think about it in terms of your wife, girlfriend, sister, mother or daughter being able to make a fair wage.
4. Don't say that your wife makes more than you so therefore the wage gap does not exist. Nope. One anecdote does not = data.
5. Stop saying that boys and men have it so hard these days. Seriously. If you are a man, and I assume you are, would you want to switch genders? I didn't think so.
I could go on, but you're probably not going to get it no matter how much I write.