Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Green Tomato Chutney

I managed to salvage some green tomatoes off the plants before I pulled them out due to the blight.  Sadly, it wasn't very many since most of the fruits were also blighted.  Some went in to the freezer for salsa and I made green tomato chutney with the rest.  I got this recipe off the internet and made only slight modifications based on what I have in house.  I also added fewer onions (the recipe below reflects what I actually did).

GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY
(Makes 4 lbs)
3 lb green tomatoes (chopped)
4 oz onions (chopped)
1 lb cooking apples (peeled & chopped)
8 oz yellow raisins
8 oz brown sugar
1 pint vinegar
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard (you could use mustard seed too)
2 teaspoons ground ginger (or use fresh or crystallized)
1 cinnamon sticks (or use 2 tsp cinnamon)
1. Put all ingredients into a large pan and bring to the boil.
2. Simmer uncovered until reduced to a thick mix. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking. It should take 2 3/4 to 3 hours. Test by scraping a wooden spoon across the bottom of the pan. If the pan bottom shows clear for a while before the chutney slowly fills the gap then it is ready. (In other words there should be very little thin liquid sloshing around).  Remove cinnamon stick if necessary.
3. If you're canning, put into hot sterilised jars and seal.  If you're lazy, put it in clean jars and store in the fridge, or freeze in smaller portions. (Not sure if it will freeze well but I'm going to try.)
4. Label when cool. Chutneys improve in flavour if kept for at least a couple of weeks before use.

Anyway, I've never made a chutney before and I was pleasantly surprised.  It smells delicious and the onion flavor doesn't dominate.  I think it will taste good with chicken or pork.



No comments:

Post a Comment