Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Fuck You, Random UNC Trustees

Dear UNC trustees,
You've got a lot of bigger shitstorms on your hands, so I know it may seem like a low priority, but please don't be assholes about renaming the Saunders Building.  It was named after someone who was active in the KKK.  Student activists recently led a successful campaign to rename it (it's now called the Carolina Building) but nontheless three idiot trustees voted against the measure, citing history, blah blah blah.
Look, I've been around universities a lot longer than all three of those trustees, combined.  I've seen them rename things at the drop of a hat.  I also attended a place which gives buildings and majors numbers, not names, and at the end of the day, it does not make a damn bit of difference.  What does make a difference is the message you send to the community.  Heck, I was at UNC for 2 years and did not know the Saunders Building was named the Saunders Building, so it could've easily been the Carolina Building.  So stop acting like the name is a positive bit of history.
While I'm on today's rant, the same goes for names of sports teams and mascots.  Rename them too. 
Love,
Old Biddy

PS I'm actually in a decent mood, but I'm enjoying using the microblogging format to rant about random things.

No comments:

Post a Comment