Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Women Swimming

I've been kind of really lazy about swimming since I moved to Ithaca.  This is partly due to lack of convenient pool times.  I want the pool to be open from 7-9 pm, dammit, but alas, it is not.  So my options are to wait until very late, or go very early, or swim at lunch.
It is open on Saturday afternoon, and the first hour and a half are women only.  It was a convenient time and I thought it might be less crowded.  Wrong. Each lane had 3-4 women.  I got into one of the intermediate lanes and began swimming.  The first thing I noticed was that it was extremely calm and organized compared to coed swimming under much less crowded conditions.  There's less of a speed differential, and apparently women are better at sharing lanes. I should not be surprised by this. The second thing I noticed was that it was very peaceful not to have men around.  There were students, middle aged biddies, and old biddies.  Some of the people in the exercise lanes were chatting occasionally, but it was mostly just an amicable silence. 
It felt good to swim.  I'm going to have to get up earlier or try the late night swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment