Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Ghost Chile Almonds + Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats

I'm mostly done with my holiday baking.  I was sort of low key about it this year, and was also not as into it as usual.  I've been cooking/baking a lot, usually with good results, but for some reason my fickle heart was just not into my old favorites, and I was a little careless.  The old standbys came out ok but not great.  However, the new recipes I tried turned out fabulous.
I did a lot of nuts this year.  I decided to do a batch of savory ones for my brother.  (Dude, if you're reading this, SURPRISE!)  Inspired by a recipe in the New York Times, I prepared some roasted almonds with a ghost chile powder coating.  The ghost chile powder is a gift from my brother so I thought I'd return the favor.  It contains dried New Mexico chiles, cumin, garlic powder and a hint of ghost chiles.  It doesn't seem hot at first but will sneak up on you.

Hot 'n Spicy Almonds
3 cups raw almonds
2 tsp olive oil
salt to taste (I used about 2 tsp kosher salt)
1/2 tsp ghost chile powder (or cayenne)

Heat oven to 350F.  In a bowl, mix almonds with olive oil until coated evenly.  Add salt and chile powder and mix well.  Place nuts on a cookie sheet and roast for about 15-20 minutes, until they smell toasty.  Be careful not to breathe in when opening oven since the capsaicin is pretty volatile.  Remove from oven and cool. 
They have what seems to be a subtle hint of salt and spice, but the heat sneaks up on you.  I could've made them a lot hotter for my brother but for a general crowd this is a good heat level.   As they said in the NYT article, that little bit of heat keeps you from eating too many.  I'll definitely make them again if I have to bring something to a party.


The second new recipe was the browned butter Rice Krispie treats from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook.  (You can find a similar recipe here, but the cookbook version doesn't have any added salt.)  I made them for the grad students and they were a huge hit.  The brown butter and slightly higher coating/cereal ratio made a big difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment