Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Butternut Squash Ginger Soup

Am I in one of my clean out the cupboards/freezer phases?  Yes.  Did I have a massive butternut squash in the basement?  Yes.  Was it a snowy Sunday and thus the perfect time to make soup?  Yes.  I looked at a few recipes.  They all seemed to be too fussy or too caloric, but I did see a few that used a combination of ginger and coconut milk, which sounded good.  In the end I improvised my own and skipped all the fussy steps, as well as the ubiquitous onion.  I used light coconut milk so it's light but the coconut flavor comes through.  It came out pretty well, all things considered.  I ate it with steamed spinach and a turkey burger that was also part of the freezer cleanout. 
Obviously, this is just a guideline.  If you have a smaller squash you might want to decrease the amount of liquids.
It's orange.  It looks like butternut squash soup.  I am not posting a picture.

1 large butternut squash (mine was 4 or 5 lbs.)
4 cups chicken broth (1 box) or water
1 can light coconut milk
3 tbsp ginger, peeled and chopped.
1 tbsp green curry paste (or improvise with other flavorings)
grated nutmeg (I would probably leave this out next time and use more curry paste)
salt and pepper

Peel and chop squash into 1" cubes.  Chop ginger.  In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, combine squash, broth, coconut milk, ginger, and curry paste and cook until squash is tender.  Carefully puree mixture and season to taste.  I didn't puree it too long so there were still some tiny little pieces of ginger which added zing to the soup.

makes a massive amount of soup - I am guessing 8-10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment