Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Monday, January 11, 2021

How to fix Facebook in a few easy steps

Dear Facebook, 

You scour my photos and posts to try to sell me medications/treatments for conditions I have and some I don't even have, so you damned well can do something about right wingers organizing attempted coups. You might even get more clicks this way.

Love, 

Old Biddy

1. Stop letting posts from groups take over people's feeds, and stop suggesting groups for people to join. Cut the group content to 10% of the total feed and let people use the groups tab to get caught up. If someone's friends don't post much, let them get bored and head over to the groups tab of their own volition.

2. Let people further minimize or customize the amount of content from groups and or people in their feeds.

3. Go back to showing a chronological list of people's friends posts in their feeds. Or at least let people opt in to the chronological feed without having to reset it multiple times in one session. Yes, I do like to see those infrequent posts from people I'm not really close friends with.

4. Figure out a way for people/groups posting time sensitive stuff to have it stop showing up.  No, I don't give a shit about the weather report from three days ago. If FB can use AI on my pictures to try to figures out which obscure medical conditions I have, they ought to be able to not show yesterday's weather report.

Seriously, the group thing shouldn't be that hard to fix.  Most of my friends aren't constant Facebook posters and I'm a sucker for topic-related groups, so I might be an outlier, but the minute I join a group which posts a lot, the damned thing takes over my feed, until I get fed up with it and hide it from my feed or leave the group. In my case, it's just benign stuff like cats, sewing, menopause info and inappropriate jokes, but I can totally see how people become caught up in fake news and right wing groups via Facebook. Heck, one reason I got into sewing is that I joined a FB group, then another and so on.  That's fine, but I would prefer it in one place and not taking over my feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment