Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Friday, June 24, 2022

Don't like abortion? Then don't get one....

I started writing this free form swear-laden stream of consciousness rant about the impending fall of Roe v. Wade when the Supreme Count news was leaked last month.  I'm finishing it now that it is official. 

I was just a wee little toddler biddy when Roe v. Wade was passed at the beginning of 1973.  I didn't even make it to menopause before it was rescinded.  Totally as an aside, I've heard some pundits claim that Gen X is the only generation to have access to abortion for their entire reproductive span, but ironically when someone finally remembers that Gen X exists they don't even get their facts straight.  I'm an old Gen X and am not even in menopause yet. The lucky ladies born between 1960 and 1973 have had mostly full access for their reproductive lives but our childhoods were strongly influenced by the pre-Roe era. We, or our childhood friends, siblings, and classmates may have had their childhoods affected by lack of access to abortion.

I hate it that people have been posting all the rape/incest/health of the mother/etc exceptions to try to convince the assholes.  I know that it may change some minds, but I hate that we feel compelled to quantify it on some virtue scale.  I want people to meet the restrictions head on and just say they did it because it was the right thing for them.  

I hate that so many men don't see it as a pressing issue, even though they have been enjoying the benefits of more sex/fewer shotgun marriages/less child support for years.  I hate that some of them acted all self-righteous that economic issues were completely separate from abortion and contraception access, even though kids and medical bills can wreck havoc with people's financial situation as bad or worse than anything policy related. 

I hate that we as a country are so puritanical and self-righteous about sex, and that it's so gendered, and there's probably an inverse relationship between how much right wing politicians bloviate about family values and their actual behavior.

I hate that the religious right is also going after many forms of birth control. I want them to all get Covid and die.

I wish we'd stop speculating on what those unborn babies would be like as adults. It's pointless.  Maybe some of them would have done great things, but so would some of the people born later on, who might not be born if their mom had gone through with the earlier pregnancy.  Most of all, I hate that the potential of the actual women involved is not ever considered in these hypothetical situations. I hate that men who think like this find it easier to imagine themselves as a fetus than a woman with an unwanted pregnancy.

I wish we'd implement policies to make things better for babies, children and families, instead of pontificating about it but magically not doing anything once the kid is born. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment