Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Monday, May 30, 2011

Recipe Geek: the Ithaca Tornado

Last summer my neighbors introduced me to a drink called the "Dark and Stormy". It's ginger beer with some rum and a garnish of crystalized ginger. If you don't have ginger beer, you can also use ginger ale. It's pure, clear-your-sinuses gingery goodness.
I bought some ginger liqueur the other day and did a head to head comparison of the standard Dark and Stormy with the same drink using ginger liqueur rather than rum. I then retired to my back porch to sit in my old biddy rocking chair at dusk and drink my concoctions. I saw a bat, and some of the first fireflies of the summer.
The ginger liqueur won out hands down, since it upped the ginger content to awe-inspiring levels and was sweeeter. So, here it is, named after both the Dark and Stormy and the tornado that touched down across the street from my house.

the Ithaca Tornado
Ginger beer or ginger ale
Ginger liqueur (to taste - I use one or two shots for a 12 oz bottle of soda)
Ice
Crystallized ginger

Mix soda, ginger liqueur and ice together. Garnish glass with slice of crystallized ginger. Sit outside and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment