Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Honey Badger vs U R Doin It Wrong

As some of you know, I'm all about the internet honey badger meme now. It started off innocently enough - a nature video redubbed in a much more amusing way. I got a good laugh out of it. The basic premise is that the honey badger is pretty fearless in going after its prey, except that the following phrases are used - "Honey badger don't care. Honey badger don't give a shit/fuck." Etc Etc. (Don't make me describe it, just go watch it in all of its silly glory.) Later, they brought up the meme over at The Pursuit of Harpyness, as a sort of shorthand for fighting for what one wants/standing up for oneself/not backing down/not worrying too much about the opinions of others. Then I was hooked. I need to get in touch with my inner honey badger. The honey badger is currently sharing the post of my spirit animal with cats and owls.
Of course, in 2011 America we don't need any reminders to be self-centered or agressive, but that's not why I like the honey badger meme. As women, we put a lot of pressure on ourselves, AND get a lot of pressure from outside, to do things a certain way, be a certain way, live our lives on a certain timeline, not be too agressive, not be too passive, etc, etc. Most of you probably know what I mean. I am going to call this U R Doin It Wrong. We get this in pretty much every facet of our lives, and it's hard not to internalize it, even if you're a cynical old biddy like me. To this I say, "Honey badger don't care."

No comments:

Post a Comment