Sheila has a recipe she likes, although she made some few adaptations. We made a big bowl of it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. We had it the next day and I had leftovers for the first half of the week. It was nice to have a veggie dish ready to eat when I got home from work. I liked it so much that I made a new batch today.
Here's the recipe. Feel free to adapt it to suit your tastes. I skipped the onion, basil and jalapeno tonight, and used a hotter sweet pepper and some garlic scapes instead. I like cucumber so I used more. (I also neglected to look at the recipe this time and added way too much balsamic vinegar, but it seems fine, albeit a bit different than last week's batch.
- 2-3 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted, ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped.