Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Gazpacho

Sheila and her boyfriend Chuck visited last weekend.  While they were here Sheila suggested that we make gazpacho.  It's tomato season now, and I'm sure she knew I was going to drag them to the Ithaca Farmer's Market anyway.
Sheila has a recipe she likes, although she made some few adaptations.  We made a big bowl of it and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  We had it the next day and I had leftovers for the first half of the week.  It was nice to have a veggie dish ready to eat when I got home from work.  I liked it so much that I made a new batch today.
Here's the recipe.  Feel free to adapt it to suit your tastes.  I skipped the onion, basil and jalapeno tonight, and used a hotter sweet pepper and some garlic scapes instead.  I like cucumber so I used more.  (I also neglected to look at the recipe this time and added way too much balsamic vinegar, but it seems fine, albeit a bit different than last week's batch.

  • 2-3 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into chunks
  • 1 cucumber, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 1 medium garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon toasted, ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped.
In small batches, put chopped veggies in blender and puree.  Leave it as chunky as you like.   Pour into large bowl and add seasonings.  Adjust seasonings if necessary.  Let it sit in fridge overnight to let the flavors develop..or not.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment