Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Old Biddy Music Review: Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero

OK,it's already fall,  and the Mumford and Sons album is set to come out in a few days and I know that I'm going to be listening to that a lot, so I'd better blog about my summer favorites now.  Back in the summer of 2009 I was minding my own business, about to have a very crappy year.  Unbeknownst to me, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros released their first album, "Up from Below".  I became vaguely aware of them a year later when I moved to Ithaca and heard their first single, "Home", but it wasn't until this year that I realized that they did a lot of other songs that I also liked,  So I bought their first album and and played it constantly in my car/lab/iPod, and  then I got their second one, "Here".
It's a big group (12), and no one is actually named Edward Sharpe.  They're sorta folkie/indie, but they have a lot of musical influences.  In no particular order, I am reminded of Mumford and Sons, the B52's, Jimmy Buffett, random goth songs, U2, and many more.  They're from the LA area, but for some reason their music seems perfect for an Ithaca summer.
"Home"
"40-Day Dream"

No comments:

Post a Comment