Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Grated Beet, Carrot, and Raisin Salad

I was reading my LoseIt buddy Debi's blog recently (Hi Debi!) and she posted a recipe for a carrot and beet salad.  This sounded good since I had a bunch of rainbow beets and carrots languishing in the fridge.  Of course, I didn't have cilantro, ginger, or lime, or a food processor, so I took a lot of liberties with the recipe.  I decided to grate the beets and carrots, so that made me think of carrot and raisin salad, and to that I added some sesame oil to the dressing.  It came out well and is more interesting than my usual carrot and raisin salad.  It's a good thing I like it, because I have a ton of it.

Carrot, Beet, and Raisin Salad

12 oz carrots
1 lb beets
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp whole seed dijon mustard
juice of 1 large lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey or agave syrup)

Peel and grate carrots and beets.  Add raisins and mix.  Whisk together remaining ingredients and add to carrot/beet/raisin mixture and mix.  For best result, allow the flavors to mix for at least a half hour before serving.  I had stripy beets so it's not as red as if I had normal red ones.

1 comment:

  1. HI ANN!!
    YUM!!! Now isn't that just what cooking is about?? adaptation! :) I love stripey beets better than red, so I'd be all over that! LOOK GREAT!!!

    Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete