Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 6: Two steps forward, one step back

My knee continues to improve. I'm not walking peg-legged anymore, can put more weight on my knee, and can sleep on my left side. I can bend it and I can put weight on it, but I can't do both at the same time. Sometimes I forget that I'm supposed to be favoring it, and sometimes when I forget I'm pleasantly surprised by the result. Other times, it reminds me that I still need to be nice to it.
I ventured out for the first time yesterday. T was having a dinner party and was going to cook abalone. I did not want to miss that. T set up a footrest for me but I ended up not using it - I discovered that footrests caused my knee to hyper-extend so I just sat on the edge or the chair and stretched my leg out. This wasn't great but it was more comfortable than sitting bent-kneed.
It was a fun dinner party. One of T's friends just got back from a trip to Australia so she had a lot of interesting stories.
Today I went into work. It was good to be back but I had to leave early since I could not sit comfortably for very long. My options were the same as at the dinner party - the straight legged leg extension and the footrest. Eventually the low levelof discomfort was distracting me enough that I had to leave. It was a very long car ride home. I'll do some more work from home tonight. My boss was ok with that. Now I'm back on the couch with my ice pack and Nurse Cat Rugrat.

Recipe of the Day: Ice Pack
Take one cup isopropyl alcohol and 3 cups water. Combine in a 1 gallon Ziplock bag. Seal it up and then double bag it in another Ziplock. Freeze. Depending on the temperature of your freezer, you'll get a slushy or semi-solid mixture that breaks up nicely if you squeeze it. Wrap in a towel or place inside a pillowcase to use. Much better heat transfer than a bag of peas, and you don't have to feel guilty about re-freezing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment