Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Deja vu all over again, or, what I learned from "Mad Men"

Last night I recieved an email from the professor that I've been talking to about setting up a lab using equipment from my current company.  He basically reiterated that he thinks the best way to do this is to hire someone experienced to run it, and he doesn't want to do it unless he can get me or someone else from here to run it.  It sounds like this job is mine if I want it.
When I got the email I had a weird reaction.  I got nervous, closed my email and went back to watching "Mad Men" on DVD.  Yes, I am hooked on that show, but normally I multitask while watching it.  I didn't go re-read the email until later.  In any case, it was useful to watch "Mad Men" since the episodes involved the ad agency getting bought by another agency, and the machinations and positioning surrounding the merger.  It reminded me a lot of what we went through just a few months ago.  Of course, I'm left with a cliff-hanger, since the season finale left it unclear whether the merger would go through or not.
I had trouble sleeping last night, since I was thinking about the university thing and how to approach the situation.  When I woke up, I realized that a lot of my unease is due to the fact, like the proposed aquisition last fall, it can be derailed easily at any time if my current company gets too greedy about pricing the equipment.  The lesson that I learned from that is not to stop my job search, even if things look certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment