Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Monday, April 26, 2010

Blogging from the airport, Phoenix edition/Salsa festival

I'm at the Phoenix airport now.  Yes, I do spend a lot of time at airports nowadays.  I did the math and realized that in the 3 months that I've been unemployed, I've been out of town for approximately 1/3 of the time.  This will be the last trip that requires flying for a while.
I visited my brother.  We went to the salsa festival on Saturday and Sedona yesterday.  He got hit with a last minute deadline atwork, so we didn't go to Flagstaff on Saturday like we had planned.  Oh well.  Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of Phoenix, but Sedona was very nice, with high desert . I'll blog more about it later, when I've uploaded the pics from my camera.
Spring and fall are festival season in the Phoenix area.  This weekend it was the salsa festival.  (I'd post a link but it seems to not be working at the moment)  It raised money for the hemophilia society.  It cost $10 to enter and then it was all the salsa and chips you could eat. There were at least 100 types. You could 'vote' for your favorite by contributing money for the fan favorite competition.  There were also judges who tested everything.
It's kind of hard to judge that much salsa.  Some tasted better than others.  I would've liked to have had more salsa verde, but I only found one type. My taste buds are still sort of fried, and I had some sort of weird allergic reaction yesterday, where I broke out in hives and one side of my throat swelled up back to normal.  My throat is back to normal but I've still got hives I have no clue what that was about.
Anyway, there was a type called 'Colon Blow'  There was a lot of toilet humor associated with that, of course.  They had a toilet that they'd filled up with dry ice, so it did look like it was going to blow. They also festooned the porta-potties with signs that said stuff like "She tried colon blow', etc  I was amused.  I tried Colon Blow.  It didn't taste hot at first, but then you got hit with habeneros.  My brother and his friend managed to find the salsa that beat Colon Blow on the Scofield hotness scale, but you had to know to ask for it.  They were both in pain for about 15 minutes and it did induce a colon blow/ring of fire the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment