Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Point Reyes Dayhike

I went to Point Reyes today.  If you haven't been there, you should go.  It's one of my favorite places, even though I don't go there often and have only explored a small fraction of it.
I walked to Arch Rock.  If you're only going to do one hike there, this is the one you should do. It's about 4 miles each way.  The trail is wide and smooth, and meanders through a ferny forest next to a creek. 


About halfway there, the trail passes through a meadow.  The trail ends by a craggy cliff that juts out into the ocean.  Arch Rock itself is next to the cliff.  You can see it if you scramble down to the beach, which I've never done sue to my bad knees.  After I got home, I realized that if I had continued about a mile north, I could have taken a real trail down to Arch Rock Beach.  Oh well.  But really, it's about sitting on the rock, relaxing, and looking at the ocean.  If you bring lunch, that's even better.  I had a homemade almond croissant, some beef jerky, trail mix, and celery.  (Yes, my fridge is pretty bare, but it all tasted great even if it was a mismatched assortment.)
It's kind of weird to think that I won't see Point Reyes again for a while.  I have this response to a lot of things these days. I can't think about it too much, or I get sad, even though I know there will be tons of good places to go hiking once I get to Ithaca.

No comments:

Post a Comment