Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

You can teach old cats new tricks..or at least, they can learn them on their own

My cats are different here in Ithaca than they were in California.  I did not expect this.  Rugrat is the sweetest cat in the world, but she was kind of a wimpy little homebody who wanted attention all the time and was always underfoot.  Now she's much more independent and (gasp) actually doesn't bug me every time I go into the kitchen.  She really likes going outside and spends a lot of time in the underbrush.  She even caught her first mouse ever, at the ripe old age of 13, and has lost weight and reverted to some habits from her younger days, like running the steeplechase from yard to house and chasing bugs obsessively. I'm not really sure why, but think it has something to do with liking my yard, since most of this started after I loosened up and started letting them out more.
On the other hand, Luna has turned into a homebody lapcat.  I don't think she likes this yard as much as the one in CA.  It's missing the catnip patch, good napping places, and fences that she so loved.  However, she's gotten healthier too, and has filled out and gotten a very nice sleek coat.  She's turning into a real lapcat, too, which is the biggest surprise.  I suspect it may have something to do with Rugrat not obsessively getting jealous every time I pet Luna.
My kitties have learned new tricks, and I wonder if I have too.

No comments:

Post a Comment