Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Spinach, Canadian Bacon, and Cheese Frittata

I'm on an egg kick lately, and decided to make a frittata using various leftovers and other miscellaneous ingredients from my absurdly well-stocked cupboards.  I looked a recipes for general guidance in terms of oven temperature but made up my own recipe.  It came out extremely well and I enjoyed it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I recommend it highly, but don't let my recipe influence you too much - this is what I had in my fridge.  Use your favorite combinations of ingredients or whatever you have around  (I do recommend lots of cheese, though!)

Spinach, Canadian Bacon, and Cheese Frittata
makes 6-7 servings

6 oz canadian bacon
2 cups leftover rice
butter (1 tbs)
8 oz spinach
3 cloves garlic
6 eggs
1 cup milk (use a dash of cream or half and half too if you have it)
1 c. shredded Manchego cheese
a few sundried tomatoes
dash of dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F.
Chop up canadian bacon.  In a large oven-safe skillet, brown the bacon and the rice in a little bit of butter.  chop up spinach and either saute with the rice mix or cook it briefly in the microwave* and then add to rice mixture.  Whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper and oregano.  Add garlic, egg mixture, and sundried tomatoes to skillet and sprinkle cheese on top.  Bake until mixture has set (mine took 20 minutes).  Allow to cool slightly and then serve.  It is good warm or cold.

* If you microwave the spinach, add sprinkle of  water and cook it until it is just softened and then drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment