Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Stewed Rhubarb with Blueberries

My rhubarb plants are massive this year!  They got a bit shredded in the hailstorm but suffered no ill effects from the late hard freeze and snowstorm.  A few weeks ago some flower buds started to sprout, but at the advice of my neighbors I cut them off so that the rhubarb wouldn't go to seed.
I gave it a good trimming the other day, but it's hardly even noticeable.  I cooked it up with some frozen blueberries, sugar, and lemon zest and juice.
It turned out really well.  I'm already planning on making another batch.  The blueberries and rhubarb are a good combination, flavor-wise.  The rhubarb adds zip and body to the blueberries, and both flavors come through.  You could use Splenda instead of sugar if you want, but the last time I tried this with rhubarb it ended up with a strange metallic flavor.  I recommend using at least part sugar.  I used one cup here - it was sweet enough when it was warm, but when cold it needed a bit more sweetness.   I've been eating it plain or with greek yogurt.  

Rhubarb with Blueberries and Lemon

2-3 lbs rhubarb, cleaned and sliced into 1" slices
2 cups blueberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
zest and juice from 2 lemons

Combine ingredients in large pot.  Cook on medium heat until rhubarb is soft.  Cool and add more sweetener to taste if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment