Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Trendification of Chemists

I'm a chemist. We're not a particularly trendy group of folks, although we do throw good parties and many of us are also good cooks. Many of us have mastered the art of homebrewing or winemaking, as well. It's hard to be considered cool when so many people hated high school chemistry. Anyway, a funny thing has happened in the last year or so. I started seeing commercials with chemists (or actors praying chemists) in them. It used to be that the only time I'd see ads featuring chemists, it was in the American Chemical Society magazine, and the ads were aimed at other chemists. But nowadays, when I'm watching tv the next thing I know there's an ad featuring someone in a lab coat, with pictures of molecules or chemical equations on the whiteboard behind them. They're talking about global warming, electric cars or biomass. It seems like Dow, Exxon and Chevron have all hired the same ad agency for their PR campaigns. I keep waiting to see someone I know in the ads, but I suspect they're actors.
I wonder if the general public knows that these ads are about chemistry. I suspect that many people don't make the connection, and they think the people in the ads are physicists, biologists, or engineers. Or maybe they just assume that it's 'science' and don't think about it more than that. But yeah, it's chemistry. A lot of those 'green' jobs that President Obama keeps talking about are chemistry too. It's everywhere. It always has been.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget about the test tubes. If there is someone holding up a test tube in a commercial, they must be a hard at work chemist doing something important.

    ReplyDelete