Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Monday, January 30, 2012

An odd olefactory reminder

The emeritus prof's office next to my lab is still drying out, not very quickly. They've had fans going for the last 2 1/2 week with the door open to my lab, but nonetheless it got moldy/mildewy. The carpet got washed with a cleaning solution a few times, and once it had dried down and the disinfectant, book and mold smells reached an equilibrium I was greeted with a very odd sensation. My lab now smells like cowdude's apartment. Smell is the most primal of the senses, and it is kind of unnerving.
Cowdude's apartment had a moisture problem, which he battled unsuccessfully for a while before getting a dehumidifier, hence the disinfectant, which is presumably the same kind they used in the prof's office.
I have been in a pretty good mood overall. Work is going well, I like my new office, and my diet is going well - somewhat slow but steady. And yet, last week, before the weird olefactory reminder, I occasionally felt bouts of anger towards cowdude, usually late at night, after a good and busy day. It was sort of unexpected and probably just hormonal. I remember experiencing something similar towards T after I had moved to Ithaca and had some distance and clarity on the situation. The difference is that this is a month, rather than a year later.
Fortunately, this had subsided by the smell started wafting into my lab, but I was still annoyed to be still grappling with reminders mental and olefactory.

No comments:

Post a Comment