Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Buckwheat Crepes

I'm still on my buckwheat kick. I made another batch of the pancakes already and tweaked the recipe slightly to suit my tastes. Having mastered the pancakes, I moved on to buckwheat crepes.
Crepes have a bad reputation for being fussy. Perhaps it's because they're used in French cooking. In reality, they're not really any more complicated than pancakes but you have to keep an eye on them as they're cooking. I've never been particularly daunted by them, because my mom's pancakes are really more like crepes, due to her dislike of baking powder and baking soda.

Old Biddy's Buckwheat Crepes, Version 1 (taken from the internet)

1 1/3 c milk
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

2/3 c. buckwheat flour
1/2 c. white flour

3 tbsp melted butter

Whisk together eggs, milk and salt. Add flour and blend well, then add butter and mix. Allow mix to sit for an hour or two in the fridge. (The original recipe suggested mixing everything in a blender, but I don't have one.)
Heat a 7-8" frying pan over medium heat and grease with butter or oil. Remove pan from heat and add about 3 tsp batter to it. Swirl it around to coat the pan evenly and cook a few minutes. When it stops looking wet, flip it and cook the other side.
They can be filled immediately, or frozen for later use. If you freeze then, put a piece of wax paper in between each one and wrap the pile with saran wrap and stick it in an airtight container.

The crepes were ok, but lacked the richness of flavor of my pancakes. Perhaps it was because I used oil instead of butter in both the batter and when I greased the pan. Perhaps it was because I didn't fill them with anything yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment