Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Monday, April 25, 2011

Early, Lazy Easter Dinner

I bought a cheap spiral sliced honey ham at Aldi, which is like Trader Joe's poorer cousin Al. (They are owned by the same parent company. Aldi is much less upscale, but they are both pretty cheap and are a good place to buy snacks, chocolate, and cereal.) It was less than half of what I would've paid for it elsewhere. Anyway, the plan for the ham was to cook it Easter weekend so that I'd have good leftovers. I've never actually cooked a ham before, because my mom is such a ham maniac that she always cooks it at holidays. I ended up cooking it on Friday night, which was a good thing because I had way too much fun at the neighborhood potluck on Saturday and had a massive hangover on Easter.
The classic biddy family Easter dinner is ham, sweet potatoes, and asparagus. Minus the ham, that is pretty much the standard biddy family dinner for most of the year. Minus the asparagus, that is still the standard biddy family dinner year round. My mom really really likes sweet potatoes. Anyway, my plan was ham, asparagus, and mashed potatoes. I asked cowdude if he had any preferences and he put in a request for corn, which I actually had, and mashed potatoes, which I was going to make anyway. He is kind of easy like that. I made a salad so we'd get some greens.
Anyway, I must say that the combination of ham, mashed potatoes and corn (nothing fancy, just the frozen kind) was really good - classic comfort food. I will have to ignore cowddude's "I will eat anything except squash" act and ask him his food opinions more often.
Obviously, if one bought pre-prepared mashed potatoes this would be the laziest holiday meal ever. But I am weird about mashed potatoes. I have nothing against the boxed or frozen kind, but somewhere along the line it became one of my signature dishes so I always make then from scratch.

Old Biddy's Mashed Potatoes

Potatoes
Garlic (optional)
Butter
Milk
Chicken broth (optional)

Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Add a peeled clove or two of garlic, more if you want. Cook in broth or water.
Mash potatoes/garlic along with a little bit of the cooking water/broth. Add some butter and milk, and salt and pepper to taste. I like them kind of light so I probably add more liquid than some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment