Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Saturday, April 30, 2011

More Facebook Etiquette from the Old Biddy

Dear Facebook Friends (no, not the ones who actually read this blog),
I've hidden a few of your status updates. It's not that I don't like you. It's not even that I don't like constant updates - I do, even though I don't post very much myself. If I hide your posts, it's usually due to the following things.
Too many irritatingly smug, "my life is perfect" posts. For me, it takes a combination of a lot of posts coupled with posts about how wonderful one's significant other/kids/life are topped off with lots of references to spending money. Bonus points if you still manage to squeeze some whining in there for good measure. Real life example: "FACEBOOK BRAGGER is stuck at the airport after my husband surprised me with a weekend in LA where I got to meet Jon Stewart and had a spa day and went shopping. Wah, two hour delay wah..." Really.
Fortunately, I am an old biddy and my main response is to say STFU and hide posts from that person. These are not close friends, anyway. However, teenagers may be more susceptible and more likely to have friends who post stuff constantly, so some studies suggest that Facebook may make some of them feel worse about their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment