Total Pageviews

random musings of a crazy cat lady

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Buckwheat Pancakes

When I was at the farmer's market yesterday, I bought some locally grown, organic, stone-ground buckwheat flour. How's that for politically correct foodie fare?!? Although I do like my ultra-cheap white flour, especially when I am baking goodies for the grad students, I have recently become a convert to freshly ground, artisan flours, especially for whole grains. They taste a lot better when they are fresh, since they are more prone to going rancid than white flour. I store them in the fridge and that keeps them nice and fresh. Most recipes call for a combination of whole grain and white flour, so it's not as expensive a habit as you may think. My most recent 2 lb package of whole wheat bread flour lasted about 6 months.
This morning I made buckwheat pancakes for breakfast. I love buckwheat pancakes but have never made them successfully at home, unless you count making them from a mix. I pulled up a recipe from the internet, adapted it to what I had in house and my own instincts, and voila - the best buckwheat pancakes I've ever had. They didn't even need any butter or syrup, and tasted good as leftovers later.
So anyway, without any further ado...

Old Biddy's Semi-local CNY Buckwheat Pancakes
Makes 4-5 servings (don't let the relatively small amount of flour alarm you. You can also half the recipe for a more reasonable amount of pancakes)

Mix together
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt

6 oz greek yogurt*
1 1/3 cup milk**
4 tbs melted butter (1/2 stick)
2 eggs

Whisk liquid ingredients together. Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix until just blended. The batter will seem runny but don't be alarmed.

Cook pancakes and enjoy. I'd pretend that I ate them with local maple syrup too, but I am still working on a container of not-quite-local Quebec syrup.
I have a sneaking suspicion that I can further improve the recipe by tweaking the egg/milk ratio, reducing the amount of baking soda and using honey or maple syrup instead of sugar, so I'll try that next time. (I may even be systematic and change one variable at a time.) But they were seriously tasty as is, and got me through a whole day of hauling logs from my back yard down to the street for the annual yard waste pickup.
Nest up: Buckwheat crepes...


*I used Chobani yogurt since I am seriously obsessed with it and that's what I had. It's made 70 miles from here, so that's sort of local.

**the recipe called for 2 c buttermilk, but I used the milk/yogurt combination instead. If you don't have either, use milk and substitute 2 tsp baking powder for the baking soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment